Package Bomb Suspect Cesar Sayoc Ordered Held For Trial Without Bail
Judge orders package bomb suspect Cesar Sayoc, Jr
- The man suspected of sending mail bombs to several prominent Democratic leaders last week, including former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and former President Barack Obama, was charged in federal court on Monday and ordered held without bail.
- Cesar Sayoc Jr. was charged with five felony counts over sending 14 bombs to high-profile Democrats and CNN's office in New York City.
- Another suspicious package addressed to CNN's office in Atlanta was intercepted on Monday by law enforcement-authorities.
- Sayoc will appear before the federal court in Miami again on Friday.
MIAMI (Reuters) - A man accused of mailing 14 pipe bombs to prominent critics of U.S. President Donald Trump was ordered held without bail on Monday, and authorities intercepted a similar suspicious package addressed to CNN in Atlanta.
The latest developments in the bomb case came with just over a week to go in highly charged political campaigns across the nation leading up to Nov. 6 elections. Democrats are battling to seize control of a Congress now held by Trump's Republican Party.
In U.S. District Court on Monday afternoon, Cesar Sayoc, his salt-and-pepper hair pulled back into a ponytail, remained largely silent, only acknowledging Judge Edwin Torres' reading of the charges against him.
Shackled and wearing a beige jumpsuit, the 56-year-old man began to tear up, and the three attorneys with him stood shoulder to shoulder to obscure news reporters' and photographers' view of him.
Sayoc was scheduled to appear in court in Miami again on Friday.
The former male stripper, part-time pizza deliveryman and apparent avid Trump fan is charged with five felony counts: interstate transportation and illegal mailing of explosives, threatening a former president, making threatening interstate communications and assaulting federal officers.
Outside the court, defense attorney Jamie Benjamin called the charges "flimsy" and accused the government of trying Sayoc in the media, forcing judgment before the case has gone to court.
"All there is this thin amount of evidence that has been alleged in that complaint," Benjamin said.
Sayoc's case is expected to be moved to New York, where he will be prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney's Office there, officials said.
Earlier on Monday, the FBI said a suspicious package addressed to CNN's headquarters had been intercepted at an Atlanta post office.
A package containing a bomb sent to CNN's New York offices at the Time Warner Center forced the evacuation on Wednesday of the building.
Tensions stirred by the rash of pipe bombs ratcheted up even further after a gunman opened fire at a Pittsburgh synagogue on Saturday, killing 11 worshipers while yelling "All Jews must die."
All of the bombs were sent through the U.S. Postal Service and intercepted before reaching their intended targets. No one has been hurt.
The first of last week's 14 bombs turned up on Oct. 22 in the mailbox of billionaire Democratic donor George Soros' home in the suburb of Katonah, New York.
More bombs were sent to a range of prominent Democrats, including former President Barack Obama and former Secretary of State and 2019 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, and other frequent targets of Trump's scorn.
Video: Soft-spoken mail bomb suspect Cesar Sayoc makes 1st court appearance
Triple Strength Red Krill Oil
5 Things to Know About Coachella 2019 Weekend 1
From Alexander Wang to Chewbacca Fur: The Kanye West Yeezus ShoppingGuide
How to Test Paint Drying Speed
Easter Candy Face-Off: Peeps vs. Cadbury Eggs
Debra Messing’s Awesome Advice on Dressing ForYourself
How to Survive a General Admission Floor
9 Things Fashion Girls Can Never Resist
How to Make a Sensory Table
11 Serious Side Effects Of Tea Tree Oil
How to Organize Apps for iPhone and iPod Touch in iTunes
How to Acquire the Black Mosaic Tile Image via Excel