How to Cancel an Auto Insurance Policy : Auto Insurance Basics
How to Cancel Progressive Insurance
Progressive’s many advertisements always make it clear how easy it is to “switch and save” on insurance for your car, home, motorcycle, etc. Thankfully, if you’d like to cancel your Progressive policy instead, that process is pretty easy as well. The exact procedure will vary based on where you live, though, since — in the U.S., for instance — each state has its own insurance rules and regulations. Wherever you are, though, it’s always best to line up new insurance before canceling your Progressive policy, especially for a motor vehicle.
Lining Up a Replacement Policy First
Choose a good time to consider switching insurers.You can cancel insurance provided by Progressive (or any other company) any time you want. That said, there are two particularly good times to consider switching insurers:
- Start comparing rates 3 to 4 weeks before the renewal date for your Progressive policy. Depending on the laws where you live, you should receive a renewal notice about a month before it's due. Use this information to compare rates and products with several competitors.
- Weigh your insurance options after a significant life event, like a marriage or divorce, the birth of a child, moving to a new home, or buying a new car or adding a new driver. Contact Progressive to see how such changes will affect your policy and rates, then use this to evaluate other options.
Check your Progressive policy regarding cancellation fees.Depending on the laws in your area and the type of policy you have, you may need to pay a cancellation fee to end your policy before the renewal date. If there is a fee, it is often 10% of your outstanding premium. For instance, if you have 3 months left at 0 per month, your fee would be roughly .
- If you have prepaid for your policy, you will be refunded for the unused term following your cancellation, minus any fees (0 - = 5 in the above example).
- Examine your Progressive policy for details, log in to your online account (), or call 800-776-4737 (U.S.).
Choose new insurance coverage for your car.In the U.S., every state has an insurance requirement for motor vehicles, and you may be required by law to prove you have a new insurer in place when you cancel your Progressive policy. Shop around and find a new policy that suits your needs and your budget.
- To get quotes, you can: call insurance companies directly or visit their websites; visit the office of a nearby independent or company-affiliated insurance agent; or use third-party online quote comparison sites.
- Arrange for the new policy to take effect on the day you want your Progressive policy to end.
- You may be required by law or your mortgage company to have homeowner’s insurance as well.
Ask your new insurer if they can help with the cancellation.Some insurers will be so eager to get your business that they’ll take care of much of the legwork in canceling your old policy. You may simply have to sign a form or provide a verbal confirmation. But, even if they don’t offer this service, the process is simple enough to take care of on your own.
Breaking Up with Progressive
Mail in a signed policy cancellation form.In the U.S., some states require a signed document in order to cancel car insurance, and it’s often the simplest method regardless. You can find pre-made forms online that you can fill in (for instance, ) and mail out. Or, you can draw up a quick form letter that provides the following information:
- Your name, address, and phone number
- Your Progressive policy number, and the date and time (e.g., 12:01 am) at which you want it to end
- The insurer’s name, policy number, and start date/time for your new policy
- Your dated signature
- Mail it to: The Progressive Corporation, 6300 Wilson Mills Rd., Mayfield Village, Ohio 44143.
- Mail it out at least 1 week (or, if possible, 2-3 weeks) before your intended cancellation date.
Call 888-416-2003 to cancel by phone instead.Make sure you have your Progressive policy number, as well as the information for your replacement policy. Depending upon where you live, you may be able to complete the process over the phone, or you may still need to sign and return a cancellation document.
- The Progressive agent may try to convince you to stay with them, possibly by offering a discount. But, if you repeat something like “I’m sorry, but I’ve already made my final decision and have lined up a replacement policy” once or twice, they’ll relent.
Log in to your Progressive account and cancel online.You may or may not be able to cancel your policy this way — once again, it depends largely on the laws where you live. Log in at and see what your options are, but don’t be surprised if you need to make a call and/or send in a signed form in order to cancel your policy.
Video: Dear Progressive car insurance, it's over
4 Reasons Youre Not Losing Weight
Hair Braiding Lessons: Learning How to Braid Hair Creatively
Include these in your Diet for Healthy Winters
ChicEats: Healthy Restaurants in NYC
How to Recognize and Treat Cysticercosis (Pork Tapeworm Infection)
How to Use Different Strategies for Playing Gaga Ball
How to Perform a No Comply Pressure Flip on a Skateboard
Emma Roberts Is Nailing the Tousled Bob—And You Can,Too
Wedding Photo Ideas: 10 Creative Ways To Pose
More from Elon Musks New York Times interview
Where to Leave Love Notes for Your Spouse
Rihanna and Cara Delevingne Steal The Show at The Valerian Premiere
How Can I Stop Leg Cramps
Are Your Beauty Products Toxic Heres Everything You Need To Know